Monday, September 6, 2010

Introducing FerimaFaye of Harlem NY



When did you start?

I started singing at the age of 10. I performed "Killing Me Softly" by The Fugees for a talent show at school. I got a standing ovation. My body left the stage that night but my heart never followed.



Who inspires you?

I am heavily inspired by the world around me, Art, Culture, Architecture, Colors, and Sounds. Take the time to look around and you can find inspiration Everywhere!



How does NY inspire you?

There is NO other place like New York City! It is a melting pot. The 5 boroughs will take you around the world without a flight.

I love the people on the train, their conversations, their fashion, their TALENT!



What is your most favorite place in NY?

Find me where the artists are, I'm from Harlem, which is historically The Artisic hub of NYC, though it seems there is a grande scale artistic movement taking place in BK! So, right now I'm loving the artist's of New York where ever they are...



Describe your sound.

My style is "Whatever YOU like" I am a classically trained vocalist. I can sing opera, swagg it out with the M.C's, Sooth you like the jazz greats, and rock you like Michael. It's quite interesting. I'll switch it up for whatever occasion!



What has been your most memorable gig as a singer?


Ah! there are SO many! Hmm... When I went to visit my grandmother in Cote D' Ivoire, West Africa, she got me a gig singing at The Governors Gala. He requested that I sing "I will always love you" by Whitney Houston. I thought it was gonna be an intimate event.

Turns out the governor rented an airplane hanger and had thousands of attendees...It was one of the largest crowds I'd every performed in front of, but I conquered that stage, and I'll never for the butterflies right before I sang



Who is your hero?

My Mother is my Shero! She gave me my entrepreneurial gene. Coming from Africa and getting into hair braiding, and enrolling in cosmetology school. She graduated with honors and worked in salons around the city. Then, to 18 yrs later open up her own salon! I love her Do It Yourself spirit!



What does singing do for you specifically?

Singing gives me a platform to connect with others on a spiritual level. It also gives me the opportunity to relay messages of positivity, and tell stories of what I've encountered in my life so to inspire or relate to other people around the world no matter what social, economic, or intellectual status.



What artist do you look up to and why?

I am really feeling Queen Latifah! She started as an M.C. and branched off into other areas of The Arts successfully, thus solidifying herself as an international media mogul.



What projects are you currently working on?

I just wrapped up a couple of features on Caseman Anderson's Debut Album called Eruption. Look out for his project set to release in the Fall.

Also, I was just added to the roster of a band called The Summarily Dismissed comprised of myself, Matt Lomeo, and our fabulous writer/composer/pianist Ari! We are backed by an amazing LIVE band and and are set to beginning performing heavily this fall. We also just completed our record so look out for that as well.


How can people reach you?


http://www.reverbnation.com/ferimafaye

http://www.myspace.com/ferimafaye

http://www.ferimafaye.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/ferimafaye

1 comment:

  1. Ferima Faye is the truth. She is hella talented, special and unique. Look out for this chique mogul makin BIG moves!

    ReplyDelete